The Earth laughs in flowers.

I realize it’s still February but I’ve got a wicked case of spring fever. I enjoy all the seasons for what they offer but this winter has seemed unusually long to me.
I cannot imagine what it would have been like if we still lived in the old farmhouse.  I probably would have burned the place down trying to stay warm by placing our outdoor fire pit in the living room.  That place was as cold as a grave.

I digress.

I took a stroll through my backyard today and found these.

Hurray!  Spring is on the way!  We moved into this house last summer so we’re not even sure what flora our yard contains.  Mr. Cooper and I explored the back yard and it would appear that we’ve got plenty of lovely things to anticipate.

Hey, wake up! Winter is almost over.
This is our guitar playing frog.  He hangs out in the back yard and keeps our grill company.  We’ve also got a few assorted gnomes, a statue of St. Thomas, five wind chimes, one birdhouse and one bird feeder.  I can’t wait until the weather is warm enough to open the door to the patio and enjoy our little paradise.  The yard is fenced in and completely private.  We have a little table that is just begging for some citronella candles and a carafe of wine.  Our fire pit sits covered, but waits patiently for our first early evening fire.
We also have 6-8 rose bushes that bloom every color in the rainbow.  They are really exquisite.  I’ll post some pictures as they start to appear.  Our kitchen window faces our backyard and as I stood there this morning and sipped my coffee, I couldn’t help but smile and revel in the view. The morning sun was illuminating each and every emerging bud and there were robins, cardinals and doves sharing their breakfast on and around the bird feeder.
Someone else was enjoying the sunshine as well.  He has his very own doggie door that leads out into our backyard and he surveys his kingdom hourly and runs the perimeter daily.  He takes his responsibilities very seriously.
I love this old scruffy dog.  And I love our backyard.

10 thoughts on “The Earth laughs in flowers.

1. He sounds like my own Cooper always having to check the yard perimeter.

2. Mr Lonely says:

nice blog… have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog…

3. Anonymous says:

Enough with the "I digress." It's generic and passe.

4. Anonymous says:

I love Mr. Cooper … you guys are so great! Love reading your posts daily! Betsey

5. Don't you just love the way nature/fate/God provides these little ways to enjoy life. Flowers, sunrises, sunsets, the way a shadow and light play together.Gack.. I'm getting maudlin! Must be the Girl Scout Cookies I keep shoving in my gob.I want to see those rose bushes.. I've got 3… Red, yellow and fuschia and Jen you should go to my blog and search gardening for a pix (albeit old) of my little wild English garden in the front of my house. Heather

6. Jen says:

Heather – I'll totally check out your pictures – an English garden is totally what we're going for, we just need to figure out what we have before we decide what we need. So many serendipitous plants and flowers are springing up everywhere. I feel like we're enjoying what possibly were years of someone else's work!Thanks for reading and commenting, as always!jen

7. Jen says:

I'm sorry, Anonymous – I use "I digress" because I too am generic and passe, obviously!

8. Anonymous says:

"carafe of wine", PLEASE girl we know you better than that… a box of wine, a bottle of vodka.. maybe, only a carafe, who do you think you are foolin'Miss you bunches!!!

9. I'll take and post some new pix for you. The key is texture… add color seasonally but once you've got the look of texture its wonderful. And the best part of an English Garden is ignoring it! I weed very rarely and prune when it looks like one thing is swamping too many others. But let them all intertwine. Of course, I live in Sunny California so mine thrives pretty well. lol

10. You have gotten me more excited about spring arriving too! Thanks Jen. Oh and two words I would never use to describe you- generic and passe 🙂